The Top Ten Reasons Why Women Love Shoes so Much "Why do you need so many shoes?," my husband asks me, as he shakes his head and stares at my closet in disbelief. I start to answer him and I realize that it's one of those age old questions that men have been asking women for years. It's up there with "What's inside the women's bathroom?," and "Why do women always want to know what men are thinking?" It's not just my husband, millions of men want to know, "Why do we women need so many shoes? "
The truth is women are in love with shoes. Let me give you the top ten reasons why.
1. Variety - We women simply cannot wear the same shoe every day. We need change. Plus, our shoes need to match our outfits and our outfits need to match our activities and lifestyle. After all, you can't wear open toe sandals if you are going hiking in the canyons now can you? Plus, variety is the spice of life.
2. Style - We want to look good. No, we want to look hot. No, we want to look comfortable. See what I mean? Th bottom line is that we need different styles for different looks.
3. A Good Deal - Women are born shoppers. It is a true talent and no true shopper can turn down a good deal on a pair of shoes. That is why discount shoe stores like DSW or Shoe Pavillion are so popular. No shoe shopper work her salt can resist a pair of Manolo Blahniks marked half-off.
4. Comfort (AKA High Heels vs. Falts) - High heel shoes look great, but let's face it, they can really hurt the tootsies! Most women I know alternate between high heels and flats. You know what that means.. more shoes!
5. Durability - Well made shoes can last a lifetime. This is especially true if you do not wear them every day. As a result of this your shoes build up in your closet. Kinda like plaque on your teeth.
6. Trendy - Unlike that hot pink leather skirt you partied like it's 1999 in, the shoes that you may have worn with it are still in fashion. In fact, Flashdance plastic jelly shoes have made a huge comeback. What a feeling!
7. Stability - As the years come and go, women's clothing size may fluctuate. One year you may be a size 4 and then after a few years of stuffing krispy kreme donuts down your face, you may suddenly be a size 14. But guess what? Your shoe size will stay the same. Chances are if a woman is a size 8 shoe, she will stay a size 8. How great is that?!
8. Options - "Should I wear my 5 inch Marc Jacobs heels today, or my 2 inch Gucci loafers?" It's a woman's fundamental right to be able to make a choice on her own footwear. In order to make those choices, women need (you guessed it) many different shoes.
9. Collections - Some men collect playboy magazines. We women collect shoes. Enough said.
10. Friendship - If diamonds are a girl's best friend than shoes are a woman's best friend. Shoes will always be there for her. They will never shun her or treat her wrong. They will never try to steal her boyfriend or call her fat. They will never let her down. The bottom line is a women needs as many of these friends as she can get.
So there you have it. Now please don't get me started on purses...
Learn how to collect autographs from celebrities and famous people for almost nothing!
Ever wanted your favorite movie and TV star's autograph? How about your favorite author? Or sports personality? Here's a little secret: autographs of public personalities are quite easy obtained! All you need is some stationery, some postage and a few addresses. And it's a relatively cheap hobby to take up, too.
Most celebrities - actors and actresses, authors, sports personalities, politicians and other people in the public light - oblige through-the-mail autograph requests as a part of their public relations. In most cases, they will provide a signed photo of themselves or sign items you send them.
The first thing you'd want to do is find the addresses of celebrities whose autographs you want to collect. You can find mailing addresses of actors and actresses care of their agents or their show (you can find the address in the rolling credits at the end of the show). If you know of celebrities who are currently in town you could send a request care of their hotel or the theatre/stadium they are acting/playing in. Requests can be sent to authors through their publishers, and politicians generally have their mailing address well publicized. The best place to get celebrity addresses, however, is the Internet - there are a lot of sites online that feature autograph collecting and good addresses to send to. www.autographcentral.com is a good starting point for address lists.
Your through-the-mail requests should include your request letter, any items for signing and a SASE. Your request letter should at all times be polite, neat and short - no more than one typed or handwritten page. Also, it's good to be sincere when making your request - it helps to write about the celebrity's achievements. Your letter should make it very clear that you are requesting an autograph. You could include with your request a photograph or index cards you would like the celebrity to sign. Remember that at no time is the celebrity obligated to send you an autograph, although most of them do. Tools of the Trade
Autograph collecting is relatively cheap; a lot of the money you spend will be on stationery. For starters, you will need 9" by 12" envelopes for your SASEs. These should have your address as both the addressee and the sender. It helps if you mark clearly on the corner the words "DO NOT BEND" so whatever sent to you doesn't get mishandled. Of course, you need envelopes large enough to contain the SASEs and request letter. Business-sized envelopes are recommended - the SASEs can be folded. Lastly, you need the required postage on the SASE. If you don't have the same kind of postage from the celebrity because you live in a different countries, try getting International Reply Coupons (IRCs) from your post office. These coupons can be exchanged for postage of equivalent value internationally. Building the collection
Depending on how many and how frequent you send requests, you could get successful replies as early as two weeks to maybe a year. For most part, you should get authentic, sometimes even personalized, autographs through the mail. Be prepared, however, for unsuccessful replies; some of your requests might get rejected or be unreplied. The key to this hobby is to send requests frequently and regularly to ensure a steady stream of requests coming in.
You might want to start carefully filing and storing your autographs or frames them from display. Generally, you should keep them in a cool, dry place, filing them in clear pockets; if you plan to frame them and display them, remember that the images tend to fade in sunlight and time.
We search top stores daily so you don't have to.
For personal non-commercial use only; please check stores for current prices and exact amounts. Product specifications are obtained from merchants or third parties. Although we make every effort to present accurate information, Okto is not responsible for inaccuracies. Store ratings and product reviews are submitted by online shoppers; they do not reflect our opinions and we have no responsibility for their content.
As remuneration for time and research involved to provide quality links, we generally use affiliate links when we can. Whenever we link to something not our own, you should assume they are affiliate links or that we benefit in some way.
OKto.com - 4283 Express Lane, SUITE 003-239, Sarasota, FL 34238, p: (941) 538-6941, f: 8154253395, e: support [at] okto.com